Wedding ring finally finished.....took some doing. It went from too big, to too small, to too big to just right!!! At the point of it being too small, I tried to stretch it on a mandrel, but couldn't get it anywhere near the size it needed to be. In the end I had to saw it open and add a bit of the gold that I had taken out earlier. That meant two joins. To make it smaller (the final time) I had to open just one join, take out a small piece and resolder without melting the solder in the other join. I did it by hiding the join in the heat resistant tweezers which wirked fine. Phew, relieved it fits.
I have made a very pretty hand forged chain which I was going to sell but I love it so much that I am going to keep it.
It took me hours, but it was worth it. I made the chain in the same way I did this one. I then made 3 larger rings from 1.5mm round wire, flattened and hammered them, and joined it all up with jump rings that I soldered closed. I dipped it in liver of sulphur to give it a lovely dark patina, then polished it up again.
I love the look of these hand made chains, but I need to find a quicker way of making them. I could start with soldered 8mm jump rings rather than make my own, but it would make it much more expensive. I also found soldering jump rings once linked to the necklace was fiddly and a bit hit and miss. Need to experiment some more.